• You are not logged in.

[RSS Feed][SOS] Shadows Over Sol Beta 2 Discussion

Forum Index » Tab Games Forum » [SOS] Shadows Over Sol Beta 2 Discussion

#1 February 09, 2015 11:33:37

Micah
Profile   Send e-mail  

[SOS] Shadows Over Sol Beta 2 Discussion

General Rules:

-I too have mixed feelings on the refocus action's aim option. I found I used it and liked having something to do with excess AP, but I also found it problematic. It is basically “If no one shoots at you, get a bonus to aim next round.” Not getting shot is its own reward. I would keep the option to reduce stun though.

-There are various systems We haven't really played with much like the vehicle rules. We might want to play with them a bit, since I can't really comment on them. We also haven't done much with the lifestyle rules.

-The associated suites text is still the old version.

Equipment:

-Price points and information on ship systems. I couldn't find much on this in the text, and it has been an important part of our game in parts 2 and 3.

-More hacker/computer stuff. With the new hacker system, it might make sense to have a few more available programs and utilities. One option is a “specialization” expert system with a lower cost/rating, but higher quality in a smaller subset of the skill.

-More implants are always interesting. There is always an issue with keeping them under control, but small ones like implanted data storage, smuggler's pouch, “improved” versions of organs, etc. might make sense.

-Beyond recreational drugs, a section on entertainment and such in setting is helpful.

-I may have missed it, but in the section on the wealth system was there example how how much a standard salary is for various jobs?

#2 February 11, 2015 10:52:18

Mkamm
Profile   Send e-mail  

Not sure I fully grasp the refocus-aim question here - I'll ask about it in person tonight. I agree that I'd like to try out the vehicle rules before commenting on them. I do wonder about lifestyle - this comes up with Wealth and Status in GURPS, also, since theoretically discrepancies with these should affect people's reaction rolls or whatever.

For equipment stuff, I'm torn. I would kind of like to see more variety in most forms of gear; currently most weapons/armor/vehicle/whatever lists are just “start with the cheapest and least effective, price and effectiveness go up from here.” I like being able to choose between the weapon that's good at penetrating armor, the weapon that's good at mangling meat, the weapon that offers the best range, etc., all within comparable price ranges.

BUT I suspect that sort of focus detracts from the horror setting somewhat; it makes it more sci-fi adventure. I can see a strong design argument for keeping the gear lists as spartan as possible; have something to fulfill every necessary function but don't go overboard with custom options (or let the Engineering subsystem handle that )

#3 February 11, 2015 16:47:10

DarkOni
Profile   Send e-mail  

I admit I've thought that perhaps a cutting weapon other than a knife would be cool to have, but the horror genre does work best when your weapon feels outclassed … even though it isn't. Finn is kind of like Brock Samson with that knife.

An extra gear section for GMs to play with, but aren't for purchase might be cool. I haven't read through all the material, so maybe that is already there. But outclassed stuff that can be thrown against PCs fit the genre. Sometimes, also finding a flamethrower to use against the horror is in genre, even if you don't start with it.

An engineering thing to cobble together improvised weapons of destruction may already exist, but if not, it's also in genre to throw something together out of crap you have at hand to defeat something.

Regarding combat declarations, I think being able to change targets mid stream would make sense if the person you were targeting dropped in an earlier phase. In actual fight, most people would shift stance and shoot someone else instead. I think you would lose an aim bonus for shifting targets, but it should be something people could do.

Forum Index » Tab Games Forum » [SOS] Shadows Over Sol Beta 2 Discussion

Board footer

Moderator control